VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2006

From:
"D. Briggs" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D. Briggs
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:23:29 -0500
I live in the suburbs of Richmond and visit the Library of Virginia
frequently.  If I were visiting Richmond specifically to visit the Library
of Virginia I would stay at the Marriott if I intended to walk there.  It is
only 2 blocks or so down Broad Street from the libary.  Broad Street is a
major thoroughfare through Richmond and you should be safe walking the two
blocks between the two on Broad Street. In this general area you should not
 have any problem during the day. It is busy with many people walking to and
fro. Since you do not know the city that well I would not venture much
further on foot.  If I stayed at a hotel any further away from the library I
would drive to the library and park in their gargage. Although it is a small
garage it is seldom full on weekdays unless there is a special event taking
place a the library. If you arrive early when they first open you will have
your choice of parking in the garage.  There is a parking garage underneath
the library. It can be accessed from 8th and 9th Street on either side of
the Library.  These are both one-way streets.  You can access the 9th Street
entrance from Broad Street and the 8th Street entrance from Marshall Street.
  As you drive down into the parking lot you extract a Parking ticket from a
dispenser. You will see an attendant in the booth as you pull through but
all you need to do at this point is give him a smile and wave as you proceed
into the gargage to locate a parking space. After you park, take your
parking ticket with you and proceed to the elevator at the end of the deck
(Broad Street side) and go up to the lobby.  Enter the library though the
glass doors on your right after you exit the elevator vestibule.  The desk
you see as you enter is where you will need to validate your parking ticket
when you leave.

When you are ready to leave the library, validate the ticket at the desk in
the lobby, go to the garage and when you leave hand the ticket to the
attendant in the booth. You exit using the entrances you came in, on those
one way streets so think about which direction you want to go in when you
exit or you will have to make an extra loop around the block to get yourself
headed in the right direction.