VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:57:07 EDT
Perhaps most of us can site stories regarding wrong records.

My step father-in-law spelled his surname Treadway.  Other relatives  in
his family spelled it Tredway.  He often told the story that the clerk  made a
spelling error on the certificate when his parents were married (circa
1900).  They used the alternate spelling from that day forward.

I was surprised to find that my parents were not listed in marriage records
 of our county.  I knew the date of the marriage, the exact location and my
 mother had a copy of the marriage certificate tucked away among her
belongings.  When I inquired the reason they were not listed in the county
record, the explanation was that they likely never filed the document following
the wedding.

In a message dated 3/14/2011 2:11:01 P.M. Central Daylight Time,