VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:44:40 -0500
Quite usually in VA, though not always, a grant was issued by a political subdivision - government, colony, state, etc. - then a survey was ordered and brought about defining the boundaries of the tract the settler proposed to claim under his grant, following which that owner of the grant entered upon the land and "developed" or "seated" it, following which a patent was issued to that individual.

The process usually took at least one and more often two years or more. Caveat; those with influence - "pull" - often could accomplish the whole of it with shortcuts.