VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2006

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:18:10 -0600
This discussion of the Jefferson matter once again confirms the folly of
applying our views and standards of conduct to the lives of people of the
distant past.  Such words as cruel, good, bad, evil, just, unjust, equality,
prejudice, awful, honorable, and the myriad other such words, all carry
meanings greatly influenced by the time, place and person so speaking.

For us - any of us - to speculate concerning or to infer emotions that might
have been present based on our present day meanings and definitions is
simply silly. Those who would so explain or describe motives and emotions of
our ancestors might just as accurately describe my own of last year.  It is
fine to say, "In the view of most of us living today, the whole matter of
slavery is abhorrent."  However, to say such words as "Jefferson or any
other ancestor who had children by a slave or a mistress of whatever race
were sinners, evil, and should not be respected" have no place in good
genealogy.

Once again, the great Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes put the matter in words
that should be remembered by every single person - genealogist or
historian - who would describe, explain, justify, or denigrate any actions
of ancestors.  "A word is not a crystal, transparent and unchanging, it is
the skin of a living thought and may vary greatly in colour and content
according to the circumstances and time in which it is used."

Genealogy without documentation is nothing.
                 Paul Drake JD
            Genealogist & Author
        <www.DrakesBooks.com>