VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2005

From:
Mason Woodson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mason Woodson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:14:09 -0500
I thought this information might be interesting.

This information was completed by the WPA of VA. HISTORICAL INVENTORY #156
several pages plus photographs, but none of the photo's I have show this
building.

At Hurt, VA. on Route #29 in Pittsylvania, County.

At the rear of the house lower down on the hillside is a unique little
house built back in the hill. The front is built very attractively of rock
with a tiny wooden door, the inside walls are brick with a concrete floor.
A small iron pipe over the door gives ventilation. this room is thought to
have been built for a storage room for gun powder.

HISTORICAL MARKER
L 32
CLEMENT HILL
THE HOUSE ON THE HILL THREE HUNDRED YARDS TO THE WEST WAS THE HOME OF
BENJAMIN CLEMENT,WHO WAS ONE OF THE FIRST MAKERS OF GUNPOWDER IN
VIRGINIA,1775. THE LAND GRANT WAS MADE IN 1741.

Mason