VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 21:01:00 EST
My brick wall is Stephen T. HAMBLIN who was born about 1791. He died  a
pauper in March 1866 in Giles County. The county purchased a casket for  him.
I have no idea where he is buried. I will appreciate any help on any of
these family members. I do know this:

He married Rhoda ?(I think the  surname was "Young" but no proof) about 1812
and had 8 children. They  are:
Thomas H. Hamblin, David Young Hamblin (who became wealthy and owned  lots
of property), Milly Hamblin, Stephen W. Hamblin, Jr., Charlotte  hamblin,
Nancy Hamblin Sparrel K. Hamblin, and Lot I. Hamblin who died in  Confederate
Service  in 1862. Rhoda died about 1838 unknown where or  where buried.

Stephen T. Hamblim married a second time to Sarah L. Fagg a  daughter of
Daniel Fagg and Hannah Bowles.They were married September 10,  1840 and
proceeded to have 7 more children. They are: Elizabeth Hamblin,  Virginia
Hamblin, James Henderson Hamblin (my great grandfather), Silas M.  Hamblin,
Eley Hamblin, John  Pearis C. Hamblin, and Lucy  Hamblin.

  Here is what else I know giving you additional  information:

1.  Thomas H. Hamblin, born in 1813 in Franklin and married  Nancy ? and they
had two children Thomas H. Hamblin and Harvey  Hamblin--young Thomas married
in Montgomery County March 3, 1874 to Nancy C.  Barnett (both young Thomas and
Nancy C. were born in 1852 he in Montgomery  County and she unknown) I know
nothing about Harvey.

2.  David Young Hamblin was born October 16, 1818 in North Carolina  and died
January 23, 1903 in Giles County and married Nancy J. Hetherington born  June
10, 1824 and died December 9, 1896 and both David and Nancy are buried in
the Hamblin Cemetery, Bearsprings, Giles County and I have been to their graves.
 They had 6 children.

3.  Milly Hamblin born about 1820 and married Thomas Rutledge on  April 21,
1836 in Giles County. Nothing else is known about Milly by  me.

4.  Stephen W. Hamblin,  Jr. born 1821 in Bearsprings, Giles  County.married
Lucinda Oliver on October 18, 1842 in Montgomery County. They had  9 children

5.  Charlotte Hamblin born 1823 Gilesw Conty and married  March  30, 1842 in
Bearsprings, Giles County to William Caldwell and they had 9  children

6.  Nancy Hamblin born about 1826 in Giles County and married John  T. Shaver
November 11, 1860 in Montgomery County where he was born in  1831.Nothing
else is known by me.

7.. Sparrel K. Hamblin born 1829 in Franklin County. Married Mary  Carbaugh
on November 27, 1849 in Giles County and they had two known  children

8.  Lot I. Hamblin born about 1836 and died September 25, 1862 in  the
Lynchburg CSA Hospital.

Stephen marries Sarah L. Fagg (I come from a long line of  FAGGS--LOL)

9.  Elizabeth Hamblin born in 1847 in Montgomery County and  died April 3,
1895 in Giles County married George Washington Gordon on March 16,  1867 in
Giles County where he was born August 18, 1844

10.  Virginia Hamblin born in 1848 and I do not know anything about  her.

11.  James Henderson Hamblin (My Great  Grandfather) born  January 18, 1851
in  died September 24, 1931 Shawsville, Montgomery County and buried Den Hill
Church  Cemetery, Montgomery County. married Louisa Jane Scott March 18, 1868
in Giles  County where she was born on January 10, 1843. Died in Montgomery
County  November 22, 1919 and also buried at Den Hill. They had 9 children and I
personally knew 6mof those children including my  Grandfather.

12.  Silas M. Hamblin born August 21, 1853 Giles County married Mary  Jane
Linkous on May 22, 1873 in Montomery County where she was born on September  19,
1855.

13.  Eley Hamblin born 1857 in Giles County where her her husband  Franklin
E. Williams born in 1853. they were married in New Zion, Giles County  on
December 13, 1876

14.  John Pearis C. Hamblin born March 24, 1860 Sprucerun,  Giles County,
married Martha J. Williams on November 23, 1883 at  Newport, Giles County

15.  Lucy Hamblin born 1864 and nothing else is known about  her.

48)