VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2002

From:
Beverly Brunelle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 20:16:38 EST
Katie,

How do you "know" that the spelling of Terral is not correct? I certainly
don't have "proof" on my lines, other than the various spellings on Census
and documents and they vary a lot and from generation to generation.  My line
contains Terral,  Tarral, Terrell, Tyrell, etc......the census takers tended
to spell phonetically - and your Tarrall - would sound just like Terral,
Terrell, etc.  ( My Shoemake's also show up as Shumate, Shumake, Shuemake,
and  ALL came from de la Chaumette)  I also have a contact that whose name is
Etheredge with an e - swears he's NOT related to Etheridge with an I.  But I
can prove from him on up for 13 generations that his became Etheredge with an
E became that spelling with his father's generation, prior to that Etheridge
with an I - and for a time in England Everidge, and Everid - 1600's
eventually beginning with Ederiche from the 1500's - until 1600.  Just afraid
you may be leaving out some obvious possibilities by not looking at Terral,
Terrell, Tyrell, etc too!

There are several Nicholas's that appear in various Terral/Terrell lines -
and both lines of Terrell's that I am familiar with are both from Virginia -
and many stayed - and many moved on.

Can you list the other children of Nicholas and Anne?

Thanks,

Beverly
Casper, WY

Researching the following lines: BIALI/BIALE, BORDELON, BREWER, BRUNELLE,
CARBO, EDMONDSON, ETHERIDGE, LABORDE, LANDRY, LEEBURG,  MASCARO,
NORMAND/LENORMAND, PONS, ROBERTS, ROTJER, SHOEMAKE, TALTAVULL,
TERRAL/TERRELL, WHATLEY ,WHITTINGTON,  LOWE, HYATT.