VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2013

From:
Alice Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2013 06:54:37 -0700
Hope someone familiar with Virginia canals and locks might be able to assist me...

My father who was born in 1904 had a large padlock which I inherited.  This is a rather large lock (much larger than what I think would be used on a trunk or chain). it has a large key and it locks and opens well.  My dad told me (back in the era when I was not interested in history/genealogy), that it was used on a canal lock.  This lock was one of his "keepers" and he never used it, just had it set aside.

I have found in the mid 1800s census where his g-grand pa's occupation was "boatman"
in Buckingham...and I have seen other kin listed as "canalman" and although I can't find it, I believe one was listed as a lock-keeper.

My question to the list - what/how would this padlock have been used in connection with canal lock?

PS...my grandson is interested and I have promised it to him...but would love to add the history along with it.

Thanks for help and or suggestions.

Alice in Fluvanna