VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2008

From:
Yvonne and Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yvonne and Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:27:53 -0500
Hi Tom,

When we scan a microfilm we scan it in consecutive 8 inch segments. Each scanned segment of the microfilm contains many individual images. Each segment has overlapping images on each end so we can verify that each previous segment leads into the next segment. This assures us that we didn't miss a segment or an image. We then cut, rotate and edit each individual image from these raw scan segments to create our files.

We carefully compared our 1784 individual images that we posted to our raw scan segments from the microfilm. Each individual image matched the consecutive images from the raw scans. So we didn't miss anything. All the microfilm images were posted.

Next we checked for duplicates. You are correct that images 7 and 12 are the same. We also found that images 8 and 13 are the same. Duplicate images are almost always consecutive images on the raw scan segments and we can detect these most of the time. In this case the duplicates are separated by several images so we missed them and they were posted. We will remove these duplicates from our free sample very soon.

After realizing this unique situation for the duplicates in 1784 we rechecked the other early years we have processed and we also found duplicates in them. In all cases the duplicates were separated by several images and were not consecutive images. I'm not sure what the original records are like but it appears that the camera people had a difficult time in identifying the images and ended up duplicating many of them.

Thanks for letting us know !!

Steve and Bunny

Binns Genealogy CD Series
Scanned Microfilm Images on CD