VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 11:36:37 -0600
Mae and all (please note my last paragraph if nothing else.)

I find for Bacon's Castle, its nomination form to the National Register of
Historic Places, at:
http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/registers/Counties/Surry/090-0001_Bacon's_Castle_1966_Final_Nomination.pdf
It does not state the original parish in which it was located (while some
other nominations do); however, that link to the Surry Co. Historical
Society and Museums clearly shows the house or castle was indeed located in
Lawne's Creek Parish, at least during the 1640's, and likely through the
remaining 1600's:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~vaschsm/LawnCr.html

Per the Historical Society's description, Lawne's Creek Parish laid between
Chippokes Creek and Lawne's Creek in 1643.
On the map at:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=37.12283&lon=-76.71095&datum=nad83&u=4&layer=DRG&size=l&s=100
you can distinctly see that Bacon's Castle was located between these creeks.
(In the left margin of this map, set map size to 'Large' and the 'View
Scale' to 1:100,000, change the View Scale to 1:50,000 to zoom-in.)

You can also envision this on the map contained in the first above
'Nomination Form.'

Likewise, for the map at:
http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=35.473875&lon=-96.383281&mag=6&q1=Bacon%27s%20Castle
envision that the 'left' up/down boundary of Lawne's Creek Parish ran
approx. on a line from Chippokes State Park through the circled '10' on
Route 10 (to the left of Bacon's Castle) while the 'right' up/down boundary
of Lawne's Creek Parish was the large creek shown to the right of Bacon's
Castle.  (Be sure the zoom marker is set to the fifth line above the '+'
symbol in upper left-hand corner of the map.)

You will likely want to check with the Surry Co. Historical Society and
Museums, Inc. to confirm.

An adventure like this is fun to me and often has rewards.  For example, I
was not aware of the web site that contains the nomination forms for most
Historic Places in Virginia, with many details, at:
http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/registers/Counties/Surry/  (example of Surry
County)
http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/registers/Counties/  (link to all counties)
http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/  (main web site for Virginia Dept. of Historic