VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2003

From:
westview <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:30:48 -0400
I know other people have commented on this, but I was just at VHS and I have
more current info.

The Gilmer maps are available at the VHS Museum Shop at the cost per map of
$20.00 plus tax.  If you order them from the Museum shop on-line at
http://www.vahistorical.org/ the cost is $20.00 plus actual shipping.

The Gilmer maps are 94 surviving maps produced from 1862-1864 under the
supervision of Confederate  engineer Lt.Col. Jeremy Francis Gilmer; 75 of
them have been reproduced.  They are very detailed, giving locations and
names of inhabitants, churches, schools, mills, etc.  For whatever reason,
some names are omitted (our plantation is shown, including the outbuildings,
but the owner's name was omitted.  And no, they weren't Union
sympathizers.).  There are not surviving maps for every county; for
instance, there are none for Appomattox, Halifax or Pittsylvania.  The VHS
website tells you which ones are reproduced.

Kathy Liston