VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2002

Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:36:02 -0500

Today, Craig wrote:
> That would be Lieutenant Craig R. Scott, MSC, USN (Ret.). Just to keep the
> facts straight. I just was unable to get promoted to Captain in twenty
years
> of service. Wonder of wonders. <G>

Sorry, Craig! As somebody has been known to say in her lectures . . .Never
trust one's memory! Always check facts, even when writing "off the cuff."
Etc. Etc.!

I'm reminded of the time (eons ago) that Milton Rubincam reviewed a book of
mine and referred to me as "Dr. Mills." Mortified, I immediately wrote him
and the journal to correct the mis-assumption. Milton replied: "Well now,
Elizabeth, I could ask the editor to correct the mistake, but do you really
want the journal to say, "Correction: The world should be apprised that
Elizabeth Shown Mills has *not* earned a doctorate, as stated in our last
issue." <g>

Elizabeth