VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:50:26 -0600
It quite usually was the owner who gave all notice, since unless another person was claiming the servant it was no different than losing a horse through runaway.

It was quite against the law to harbor the servant or slave of another man, and plenty of "self-help" was employed by all owners.  If another man did so harbor a servant, it then became a matter for the law, the court, and the sheriff or constable.

Short of finding the slave/servant in the keep or being protected by another, there quite usually was a newspaper ad placed, and after that the sheriff would detain such a servant should he find the man or should that servant be turned over to the sheriff or constable by someone else.

All were charged with a duty (not often actively enforced) of holding any slave/servant who did not carry his manumission document.  Those were very carefully kept for exactly this reason, and a few are yet to be found on the collectables market.  Paul