VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:53:46 -0500
I am sorry, however, as stated, I believe the record will show that the very first court ordered adoption was in 1912 in Mass.  I have no doubt that your uncles and MANY, MANY others have been "adopted" over the centuries if - IF - you mean by that term that a non-parent undertook to raise a child born to someone else.

On the other hand, if you speak of a court ordered adoption as we NOW know the term, I will stand by my statement that the first one in these United States was in 1912.

If you know of an earlier one, please let me have a court record citation in order that I may correct my book and the record.

Thanks.  Paul