VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2001

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 21:05:16 EDT
My fellow Virginia Researchers:

I have a Catalogue including students/courses/background for Grant Memorial
University, Athens Tn (McMinn Co) for the term 1887-1888  The college is now
TN Wesleyan College, after some other iterations -- a Methodist college from
the get-go.

The hometown of the students is listed in the listing of students, although I
know that at least one of them was actually living (or so his parents
thought:-)) in Lawrence Co Missouri at the time and my g grandfather sent him
there and he lists home as Athens TN.

So...here are the few veryfrom VA...

STUDENTS....
DEACON, Jacob Emmett,A.B.,...Roanoke Va (a junior)
LYNCH, Charles...Arristts. VA (a junior)
NESTOR, Hillary Lee.....Valley Furance, VA or TN  (listed two
ways..(sophomore)
WOLFE, Geore Lee...Estillville, VA (sophomore)
LYNCH, Charles...Arritts, VA (Preparatory Dept.   1st  year)
WOLFE, Henry Jackson...Estilville, VA..Preparatory Dept. third year)
HARLESS, John C.  ...Long's Shop, VA
PORTER, George Washington...Phoebus VA

I will happily look up any surnames you might be interested in.  FYI, McMinn
Co is in what is generally known as Eastern Tennessee (and if you ask the
boundaries, I'll find someone else to help..and on the Va-Southside list you
Know who that is)

Best Regards.

Janet (Baugh) Hunter