VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2008

From:
Clay Gullatt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2008 05:42:12 -0700
You might check out the 1850-1880 Mortality Schedules also as to see if any ancestor is listed their, it usually lists the cause of death. I many of us have looked in frustration for an ancestor's death certificate?

I consider medical genealogy just as important as the lists of names and dates. What did they do? what did they die from? are to me a very important part of genealogy.

The question of how and what they died from is really important to their descendants today with what we know of genetics. It might just save your life!

In Fairfax County in 1784 both my GGGgrandfather Peter Gullatt and his brother John  (both Master Blacksmiths) died with in two months of each other. Peter was 44, John 39 what would make two relatively young men die so close to each other?

I do know from a letter written complaining about not being able to get to the polls in Alexandria in 1772 due to out an break of smallpox was signed by Peter and his father in law Charles Thrift and many others. I suspect that another outbreak in 1784 was what they died from.

Clay