VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2007

From:
Westview <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2007 00:01:17 -0500
The Caldwell settlement was on Cub Creek in what is present day Charlotte County.  At the time of its settlement in the early 1730s it was part of Brunswick County.  In 1746 Lunenburg County (including Cub Creek and the Caldwell settlement) was formed from part of Brunswick.  In 1764 Lunenburg was divided into three counties:  Lunenburg, Mecklenburg, and Charlotte.  Early deeds, etc. re: the settlement will be found in Brunswick and Lunenburg; those beginning in 1765 are here in Charlotte.

According to "Charlotte County...Rich Indeed," William Rodgers, Thomas Rodgers, John McDavid, George McDavid, and James McLaughlin were all members of the settlement at least by 1751.  "Rodgers" is still a Charlotte County name, as is "Edmunds" with a "u;"  the only Gosnell I've heard of was in Jamestown.  Many of the Caldwell people moved to Kentucky and points west in the 1780s.

I suggest posting your query to the Charlotte County Rootsweb list; you can subscribe by going to http://www.rootsweb.com/~vacharlo/indexcha.htm  The Rootsweb Southiside list might also be helpful.   I'd also check both their archives as the Caldwell settlement pops up periodically.

Kathy in Charlotte County -- just up the road from Cub Creek Church and the Caldwell settlement