VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

From:
Libbie Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Libbie Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:59:49 -0500
This isn't specifically about Virginia, but you all are such a well-informed group, that I'm turning to you for help.

A town in Holland is attempting to locate 12 men (or their survivors) who were hidden from the Germans in their town during WWII, after their plane was shot down.  The men were in the First Airborne Div., but attempts to locate them via the vets organization affiliated with that division haven't been successful.

With only a name, a unit and a possible home town, is there a way to research WWII soldiers?  It's my understanding that most Army records burned some years ago.  Is that true?

The Dutch town is dedicating a monument to these men in September, and hopes to find them all by then. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Libbie Griffin