VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2000

From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:47:10 -0500
I have been requested to post this important announcement about the Special
Collections department at the Swem Library of the College of William and
Mary:

In January 2001, the Manuscripts and Rare Books Department and the
University Archives of the College of William and Mary will move temporarily
to a 10,000 square-foot facility located in Toano at 8105 Richmond Road,
Suite 207.  While located in Toano, a twenty-minute drive from the
Williamsburg campus, Special Collections will provide the same access and
services to researchers that it does at present in Swem Library. Hours will
be 10 am to 4 pm Monday-Friday and 9am-1 pm on Saturday when classes are in
session.

Moving Special Collections outside Swem Library  will provide space within
Swem to relocate staff and                      collections while the the
1966 and 1988 structures are being renovated. When renovation is completed
in 2003,
Special Collections will move back to campus and occupy handsome quarters in
the newly constructed
 building.

Special collections will be closed during the actual move, which is
scheduled to begin on January 3, 2001 and expected to be completed no later
than February 15, 2001. For further updates on the move and to contact staff
about particular research needs, please see the Special Collections web site
at http://www.swem.wm.edu/SpColl/index.html

Since the Toano location will be less convenient for some researchers,
special arrangements will be made to accommodate particular needs.  We are
still working on the means to accommodate all of our researchers in the new
facility and we will provide more information through the Special
Collections web site as it becomes available.  Just click on Swem Library
Annex under the Special Collections Home Page on the Swem Library web site.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us