VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2004

Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 17:42:37 -0400
In a message dated 4/8/2004 9:06:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Comment to other searchers: the 128+- volumes of the "War of the Rebellion" available on CDs, printed form, and on the net, magnificent as it is, lists about 250,000 names, while approx. 3.2 million men served (and some women, as well), thus the researcher should not give up if a name of an ancestor is
> not found there.

Another comment is necessary, I think, on this subject.  If you should write to the National Archives, or to the Library of Virginia in search of a military file or pension record, and one is not found, don't assume they didn't serve.  Some names are spelled in odd ways, and alas, alack, many records were destroyed when Richmond burned in April 1865.

Jeff Weaver
who spent many thousands of hours reading those microfilms.