VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2003

From:
Sara Kidd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sara Kidd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 07:05:01 -0400
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:41:25 -0500, nel hatcher <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Website: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/faq.htm
>List Admin: Hatcher email list
>Researching: Cook, Hall, Hatcher, Kuhns, Miller, Shepherd, Timberman
>HATCHER DNA Project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hatDNA.htm
>"Genealogy Without Documentation is Nothing" - Paul Drake
>
>Hi All,
>
>The following sentence came from a letter written c1892 which is describing
>his grandfather who lived/died in WashingtonCo, TN.
>
>"I can not give many dates. Grandfather was killed by one David Greer, a
>Turk, Nov the 30,1824, was about forty five years old."
>
>My question.....what is "a Turk"?
>
>Thanks!
>Nel
>
>To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe please see the instructions at
>http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-roots.html

I'm not sure if I am on the right track, but I thought I would pass along
the info anyway. In the December 2003 issue of Family Tree Magazine, there
is an article about Appalachian ancestry. There is a side story called "The
Mystery of the Melungeons". Apparently, Melungeons are people of mixed
ethnic descent including Portuguese, Turkish, Moorish, Arabic, Jewish,
American Indian, and African that lived in Appalachia but their exact
origins are unclear.

I have no idea if the "turk" reference is related to this, but I thought it
was interesting nonetheless.

A website: http://www.melungeon.org

Good luck

Sara Kidd