VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2002

Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:38:42 -0500
Tammy wrote:
<In the wording of the order, (10 April 1794)
> the word "seized" appears several times.
> I looked on the Deedmapper site and found this -
>
> Seizin - Ownership or 'in fact' possession of a freehold estate. . . .

> Perhaps it is just my ignorance of colonial "legalese" but in the Prince
> Edward Orders, the term "seized" seems a bit different from "seizin."

Tammy, there's a wonderful law dictionary that is absolutely indispensable
for genealogy, given the wide range of legal documents that we work with and
the specialized and archaic language therein.

The book, which is widely available in bookstores is:

Henry Campbell Black, *Black's Law Dictionary: Definitions of the Terms and
Phrases of American and English Jurisprudence, Ancient and Modern* (St.
Paul, Minnesota: West Publishing Co., various editions since 1879). Old and
used editions are just as useful to us as the latest editions.

Black's definition in this case is:

"Seize. . . . To put in possession, invest with fee simple, be seized of or
in, be legal possessor of, or be holder in fee simple."

Elizabeth