VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2006

From:
Kathleen Much <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathleen Much <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 22:05:27 -0700
On 4/18/06, Pat Smith wrote:

> I've found a lot on his father, Maj. Lawrence Smith, born 29 Mar 1629,
> Burnley Parish, Lancashire, England.
> Not much, so far, on his son, Capt. Augustine Smith. I have him being born
> 16 Jun 1666, St. Mary's Parish, Essex or Gloucester, Virginia. Death about
> 1736, possibly of Orange County, vA.

Sorry, I can't help you with Augustine. What's the proof that
Augustine Smith was the son of Lawrence? And what's the source for
your statement about Lawrence's birth? Do you know how Col. Lawrence
Smith who m. Mildred Cheesman and Mildred Reade is related to the
immigrant? From references to him in _Adventurers of Purse and
Person_, I'm guessing he's a grandson.

From _Gone to Texas_, by W. Wayne Rogers, Bloomington, Illinois 1978.
"Maj. Lawrence Smith of Va. 1629-1700 . . . m. Mary Debnam, daughter
of William & Katherine Debnam and a stepdaughter of the Rev. Charles
Grymes who m. Katherine, the widow of William Debnam in 1657.
"William & Katherine Debnam had:
        1. William
        2. Katherine m. Robert Taliaferro
        3. Ann m. Edward Hoyle
        4. Mary m. Lawrence Smith"

Noel Currer-Briggs, _The Search for Mr. Thomas Kirbye, Gentleman_
(Chichester, Sussex: Phillimore, 1986), p. 101: "Lawrence Smith of
Ware Parish in Gloucester County ... was not only a neighbour of the
Kirbys but also of Augustine Warner, whose headright he had been in
1652, and of whose wife, Mary, he was a nephew. His mother and Mary
were Townleys from Stonirakes in Lancashire, and another Stratton
Major neighbour of Moundeford Curby and John Smith [son of Lawrence]
was John Townley, who settled there in 1676."

Kathleen Much