VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2005

From:
Tom Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:07:25 -0500
    Wars usually start with the pocketbook. First consideration of secession
War of 1812, Hartford Convention, New England fishing rights rights etc. -
pocketbook again with S C threatinging to secede when A. Jackson wanted
tariffs, then again in 1860 with pro-tariff groups - all harmful to Southern
economy.
    Of course, not being able to take your servants/slaves to new states
meant that new free states would eventually cause the Southern States to be
outnumbered in the Senate, their only hope of control of any legislation.
Tom Foster