VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2006

From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:53:21 -0700
Thank you for the very prompt replies. Must admit, I had no idea of just how interesting the subject could be.  In my ignorance, I just threw out a date in my query, not realizing that it would make much difference.  My  reason for the query was to learn for future reference, just how much could be gleaned from the term, "heir-at-law."  Thanks to your answers, I learned more than I had hoped.

  For those interested in the actual case, the will was written in 1781 and challenged  --successfully-- soon after it was presented in 1783, and the final settlement was made in 1805.

  From Rockbridge Co Deed Bk. A:  " An indenture between James Gilmore, heir at law of James Gilmore, deceased of the county of the one part, and Joseph Gilmore of the County of Rockbridge of the other part ... . (The deceased). . .did bequeath unto his sons Joseph and William the Plantation where he then lived  . . . but through a mistake did not include the said Joseph & William's heirs and assigns which makes them only tenants for life. . . . Now the said James Gilmore by Virtue of the power ..... uppon (sic) him by being the  heir at Law..."

  The settlement in 1805 required the sons who inherited the plantation to pay  £500 (for title to the land they had inherited)  to  the black-sheep son who had been left only £100 and excused from his debts.

  Thanks everyone for the help.

  Joanne