VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2009

From:
Scott Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 17:50:21 -0700
Could someone please tell me what the following excerpt from the personal property tax list of 1789 (Rockingham County) tells me about the age of this William Lamme?

Michael Lamme    2 horses
Nicholas Lamme   1 horse
Jacob Lamme      2 horses
William Lamme    1 horse
Henry Lamme      2 horses

Except as stated above, all of the columns for these five individuals are blank, including those for "Whites above 21" and "Whites 16 to 21."  Does the fact that William was listed and that he paid the tax for a horse tell me that he was over 21, notwithstanding that the column is blank?

Relatedly, I'm puzzled by the fact that many of the entries in this entire list (Rockingham County 1789)  have no number under either "Whites above 21" or "Whites 16 to 21."  Doesn't the fact that someone was listed indicate that he was at least 16 years of age, and, if so, shouldn't one or the other of those columns always be checked?

Thank you!

Scott Simpson