VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2010

From:
Bonnie Flythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2010 09:24:18 -0400
Right!
Some final comments on the problem of unsubstantiated claims.
First, when I started genealogy in 1979 chasing down unsubstantiated claims
took up a lot of time that I could not easily spare.  Beware of the wild
goose chase!  It can be very frustrating.
Secondly, Ancestry does have value.  I use it on a regular basis with the
exception of most of the trees.
Third, the very fact that Mary's aunts said unsubstantiated is important.
They were well aware of the importance of documentation and seem to have
provided some good clues.
Fourth, clerks do make mistakes.  I am currently working on the Southampton
Project and have run into a few-- very few.  Family histories, old
biographies, prestigious older genealogy publications, etc. also have
mistakes.  The Southampton project is extremely
valuable.  It gives anyone with a computer access to wills, deeds, court
orders, marriage records, etc. in Southampton County, Virginia.  Lots of
documentation!
Lastley, those who simply compile and never try to document are missing some
fun!  I realize that quite a few people would consider hunting through old
documents to be boring, but sometimes a deed or letter gives a glimpse into
the daily activities of these people (in my case, none rich or famous, but
interesting).
I do not try to correct the errors that I see on Ancestry.  I would rather
spend my time digging through more old records.  Right now, a number of
trees on Ancestry have one of my ancestors married to his mother!  If people
contact me, I am happy to help. Otherwise, I ignore the situation.  Making
contact with another researcher like "moonlightgems" is something I
hope for.  Years ago, we helped each other.  The comments and questions of
another researcher are very useful in verifying or at least testing claims
or hypotheses. My main
objection is to trees with no support of any kind!
Enough from me.
Bonnie
By the way,  I am particularly interested in the Crumps of New Kent and
surrounding counties, the Johnsons of Goochland County and the Fly/Flythe
family of
Isle of Wight County, Va. and Northampton, NC and the western states.