VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2002

From:
Lesley Shockey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lesley Shockey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:02:48 -0400
At 01:29 AM 06/17/2002 -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>I am not a subscriber to ancestry.com. During the past week, any time I try
>to go to a rootsweb. com or an ancestry.com URL, nothing happens for about 20
>seconds; then I get a window saying that Netscape cannot find that web site.
>
>Rootsweb is supposed to be free, but has recently been bought by
>ancestry.com; might the latter now be trying to force us to pay for use of
>rootsweb.com? Or, is there some simpler explanation?
>Gordon Adams: [log in to unmask]

Hi Gordon,

There are many possible answers.  You do not give the URLs that you are
trying so it is hard to guess which ones to check.  Twp possible reasons are:

1.  RootsWeb is installing some new bigger faster servers.  You may have
tried a page that is on the one currently being replaced.

2.  You may need to clear your browser cache.  Many times a computer will
try to load a page from memory and if a failure had occurred, it will keep

I have been to several RootsWeb pages and uploaded several pages during the
past few days without problem.

Les Shockey