VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2009

Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 09:36:51 -0600
You know, I think back "in those days" even though there were slaves, the
owners (the good ones) thought of the ones that had been with them the
longest as friends.  Thus the borrowing of money, etc.  I have read in many
wills where if a person died they wanted their slaves emancipated with safe
passage to somewhere where that slave would not be persecuted or in other
cases left the slave money and to another family member so as that slave
would be taken care of thoughout their lifetime.  Those so-called "slaves"
became close family members yet remained "in their place" so to speak.  Your
book has truly peaked my interest.  I can't wait to acquire it from
somewhere to read and for my collection!

(Pssst - don't tell anyone, but I owe my daughter about a hundred dollars
from her piggy bank - but I think I paid it back to her over the last 32
years of her life!  :-)

Shirley Cox Schroeder
A Virginia Native now living in Kansas, of all places