VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2001

Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 12:32:41 EST
Greetings,
I am aware that this is not genealogy, but this "glitch" threatens all the
time, work and love we have devoted to our ancestors. The "glitch" also might
allow someone access to data on our computers we don't want available to
anyone without our permission or knowledge.

I apologize to those not interested, I have no intention of posting anything
more on this subject.
Larry

In local newspaper
From the Associated Press:

The FBI's top cyber-security unit warned consumers and corporations Friday
night to take new steps beyond those recommended by Microsoft Corp. to
protect against hackers who might try to attack major flaws discovered in the
newest version of Windows software.

       The FBI's National Infrastructure Protection Center said that, in
addition to installing a free software fix offered by Microsoft on the
company's Web site, consumers and corporations using Windows XP should
disable the products "universal plug and play" features affected by the
glitches.

The FBI did not provide detailed instructions how to do this.  Microsoft
considers disabling the "plug and play" features unnecessary.  Etc, etc, etc.