VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2012

From:
Lucy Cronin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2012 07:14:43 -0700
Claude,

	I checked the 1787 Census of Virginia for Fairfax County & found the
following:

List A
James     visited on 4/7/1787
William   visited on 4/7/1787
Caleb   visited on 3/20/1787

I don't know if  any of these are your Richards family.  As to your
question, "Where did they come from?", is the same question I have
about my Turner family.  They appear in Loudoun County, VA Personal
Property Tax lists in 1790 as Michael Turner.  In the Lutheran Church
records for Lovettsvile, the name appears as Michael Draher (in German
dreher means a turner of wood or ivory).   They do NOT appear in the
1787 Census of Virginia, so I am assuming they must have come from
Pennsylvania for now.  There were only 10 counties in Penna in 1775.
Since there was no census in Penna, I have to resort to using Personal
Property Tax Lists for each county.  If I can find them in a county,
then I can check church records.

Good Luck.

Lucy Turner Cronin