VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2003

Date:
Mon, 26 May 2003 16:23:28 EDT
The VA-ROOTS Digest has good points for us to ponder...there are likely a
goodly
number of us who've gathered a lot of data and have nowhere, plausibly, to
place it.
I have over 40 years into genealogy and about 200,000 names.  I've tried to
put the
stuff near obviously-close-to-the-site repositories--logical places for
genies to find.
I no longer am considering the LDS folks as I have seen what they have
allowed the
Ancestral File to become plus the shameless peddling of our stuff in their
new disks
called "Pedigree Resource Files."  While we owe the LDS folks a lot of thanks
for the contribution to genealogy, this new haughty approach by the church
hierarchy is certainly not the good-natured posture I've experienced in the past.
SO...I am putting some of my stuff at the Library of VA, some in the
Germantown
Historical Society...and other user-friendly places.  Perhaps archives will
be able to
accept GEDCOMs and other storage-sensible means.  We need to further discuss
this, and I salute you all for your welcome input.  Thank you.
Erik P Conard, PhD, a rustic genie from five generations of Kansans