VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2008

From:
"W. Scott Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
W. Scott Smith
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 10:21:00 -0500
Clay,

Thank you for the reply. I'm aware of the Binns Genealogy site, as well as
resources such as wills, etc. however I've not run across an 18th century
tax record that talks about houses and buildings.

Which *specific* Fairfax County 1780s tax list (land tax, personal property,
other) shows that your ancestor owned two buildings? I'm looking at the 1789
Fairfax County personal property tax list, and it includes tithables,
slaves, horses, carriages, billiard tables, etc., but I don't see a category
for houses.

While I don't have access to the Fairfax County land tax lists from my
present location, my experience with most of the counties where I have done
research (Amherst, Bedford, Campbell, Albemarle, Fauquier, Louisa, Loudoun,
etc.) is that the tax lists do not start recording the "value added on
account of buildings" until 1820.

I'm eager to learn something new about this, and I was excited to read that
a public tax record made reference to houses as early as the 1780s, at least
in Fairfax County.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Scott