VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2001

From:
Jim Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 12:28:33 -0400
From what I've observed, and noted, things are about as they have always
been in this area.
There were too many social, personal, geographical matters that one
considered in those days, just as later on, even today, to characterize what
one era, or one person, tended to observe regarding mourning, remarriage.

C. Ward wrote --

>Would it have been highly unusual for someone to remarry four months after
the death of their spouse, in the last quarter of the eighteenth century?
Have any other subscribers found similarly brief mourning periods before
remarriage?<

I have seen brief mourning periods, but I don't remember if they were less
than six months.  I have read -- I'll try to find out exactly where -- that
it was
not uncommon for a man or woman who had very young children to support
and care for to remarry pretty quickly, unless they also had older children
to help.  Then it seemed not so urgent.  This matches my own observations
over the years.

I will be interested to see what other folks say.

Vickie Elam White