VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2010

From:
Cynthia McDaniel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2010 11:32:24 -0400
I hope that this goes through as I have had multiple problems replying to this list.

Try the following site to check on historic names for locations.  It doesn't have Katawasky Creek but does have Chuckatuck. It is the U.S. government site for geographic locations around the world. It attaches to maps.  The old Tiger maps showed county lines but the current maps do not.  However, the initial tables show the county of the location. Watershed and other info is also available.

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic

Note that this is the current address for the site.  Copying the location shown at the top of the page after you get there will not work.  They use temporary page assignments that look like this: http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=139:1:3656829135143798

Cynthia McDaniel