VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

From:
"Gary R. Good" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary R. Good
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 15:12:02 -0500
I have a William VIGAR, who appeared in the Shenandoah County Census in
1800, 1810, and 1820, and he died in Rockingham County in 1827.  From this
person on down to today, I have a solid line.

Now for the unknown connections.  I have a William VIGAR in Spotsylvania
County in the 1787 Property Tax list.  He is the son-in-law of William
BRIDGES who died in Spotsylvanis County in November, 1792, according to the
will of William BRIDGES.  William VIGAR also is a witness to a couple of
land sales in Spotsylvania County in March of 1791 and March of 1797.  Is
this the same William VIGAR who is in Shenandoah County by 1800?  If not,
does anyone know how he is related?

Next, I have a Jacob VIGAR who dies in Westmoreland County in late 1793.
His widow, Penelope "Penney" Quesenberry VIGAR, marries Lawrence POPE on 22
Nov., 1793.  How was Jacob related to the William of Spotsylvania and the
William in Shenandoah County?

Finally, from the book " The Paynes of Virginia", on page 385, there is
mention of several land sales in Rockingham County.  In a land sale in 1829
in Rockingham County, two sisters and a brother are described as "children
of John and Elizabeth JARVIS (nee VIGAR, daughter of William VIGAR)".  Since
the PAYNE family was prominent in Westmoreland County in the 1700's, I think
that all of these people are related in some way.

Lastly, when Matthew Bayne died in Westmoreland County in October, 1771,
among the children he lists is a daughter Sarah Bayne VIGOR, "wife of
William VIGOR".  Again, is this the same William VIGAR/VIGOR that is in
Spotsylvania and Shenandoah Counties?  Would love to have any info that
would tie these people together.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gary R. Good
Lorain, Ohio