VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2008

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:48:21 -0400
Vicki,

DNA, taken alone, has value for genealogy only in that it can provide your
haplotype.  The "experts" can use this to show the general area on earth
where your early ancestors were "roaming around" thousands of years ago.  My
haplotype is "I," and this shows a likely connection to the Vikings (which
is one of the more unusual "connections" for the Davidson surname).  Without
some traditional "documentation research" and/or oral family history, that
is about all that DNA can provide.

In my case, I knew that the David and/or William Davidson, who both died in
James City Co., VA (JCCo) in 1687, were almost certainly the ancestors of
the David, Edward and William Davidson who were in Goochland in the 1740s
(based on extensive "traditional research").  My ggggg-grandfather was
Hezekiah Davidson (circa 1720-1793), and he was in Albemarle Co., VA in the
1740s.  He then bought land in Cumberland Co., VA in 1760, and his son was
named Philemon Davidson (died 1810 in Cumberland Co., VA).  The Davidson
land back in JCCo (just west of the Chicahominy River) became part of
Charles City Co., VA (CCCo) in 1720, and the Davidsons who appeared in CCCo
later included David Davidson (a son of the older David, per a deed
record.....this second David died in CCCo in 1756), Ezekiel Davidson (wrote
his will in CCCo in 1762), Stephen Davidson (was the executor of the will of
the second David in 1756 and was sued in chancery court by Ezekiel in 1762),
Solomon Davidson and a Philemon Davidson (died 1773; Philemon was the
executor of Ezekiel's will in 1762).  There was also an Edward Davidson who
was a witness on the will for a Mary Davidson in CCCo in the 1780s/1790s,
and a book on CCCo land records shows that in 1815, there was a living
Edward Davidson who owned land there, and that a deceased Edward Davidson
had owned land in CCCo earlier.

I always suspected that "my" Hezekiah Davidson was out of the above group
(partially based on the extensive use of Biblical names in the JCCo/CCCo
group, and also based on the Philemon Davidson name in both
families....though Hezekiah's wife Tabitha Childers had a man named Philemon
Childers in her family, so the second Philemon Davidson COULD have been
named for him, versus for the Philemon Davidson back in CCCo).  A living
male Davidson from this JCCo/CCCo group finally took the DNA test (at first,
my DNA results had matched no one).  The DNA results show that we have a
99+% chance of sharing a common male Davidson ancestor within the last 16
generations.  Based on my "traditional research," it appears that the most
recent common ancestor was the second David Davidson mentioned above (died
1756 in CCCo).

DNA is always given in percentages.  That is why you will hear in court
cases that "there is only a one in one billion chance that this person was
not at the crime scene."  It is not a "100% science," and perhaps that is
one of the reasons that some people won't accept the results.  The counter
to that is, of course, "what are the odds that a researcher will always come
to 100% correct conclusions when reviewing the old records at the library or
courthouse?"  I suspect that almost every "genealogy document" over 50 pages
that has ever been written has at least a 50% chance of having something in
it that is wrong (and that is probably being very generous).  DNA is just
one more tool in the "genealogy toolbox," so I say, "use it if you can."

Bill