VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2011

From:
nelhatch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2011 18:35:31 -0600
I am trying to find probate, estate distribution, orphan and guardian
records in Bedford Co. I've found this page....
http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/local/results_all.asp?CountyID=VA023#WIL

I'm simply confused. I would have thought probate would have it's own
section as does wills or deeds. But apparently not.

Is there anyone with LVA experience who can tell me which "section[s]" I
would find my desired records?  I'm wondering if probate recs are found
in the Order books??

I would also appreciate knowing what kind of records are contained in
the following. Does the General Index point you to other reels? And does
Vol A contain records for surnames beginning with A or what???.

General Index to Will Books - Heirs, Devisees, or Fiduciaries, Vol. A,
1754-1976, 66 p.
General Index to Will Books - Decedents, Trusts, or Wards, Vol. X-Y-Z,
1754-1976

I admit my gross ignorance in trying to understand these various indices
since I've never in my life done non-cyber research :-(

Thanks for any and all input!

Nel Hatcher

HATCHER website: http://hatcherfamilyassn.com
HALL DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hall/HDNAtest.htm