VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2013

Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2013 09:47:21 -0700
Another lab that can be helpful is Howard University, which has a Genome Project. My brother tested there and the results came back 100% Native American on our paternal side. He transferred his results to FTDNA where I was tested in 2003. My results came back from FTDNA as partially Native American 8% and African 5%, but 87% European. Which was not surprising since that is what the Genealogy work I completed on my Maternal Lines showed. Although Howard tests for African Ancestry, my brother and cousins have tested as Native American and they provided them with certificates of Native Ancestry. Again, you must do the work of proving which tribe your ancestors come from. DNA is only one tool that can be used to prove your lines.

Howard University Genome Project

Anita Wills

Mary and Patty Bowden Foundation

Anita Talks Genealogy - Blog Talk Radio

"If you believe people have no history worth mentioning, it's easy to believe they have no humanity worth defending."
— William Loren Katz
June 18, 2009