VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2005

From:
nelhatch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:58:09 -0600
HATCHER website: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/faq.htm
HATCHER DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hatDNA.htm
HALL DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hall/HDNAtest.htm
Researching: Cook, Hall, Hatcher, Miller, Shepherd, Timberman
"Genealogy without Documentation is Nothing" - Paul Drake

Below is my example of a divorce petition from NC. Note that she filed in
1811 and was not granted a divorce but just a separation. At the same time,
her husband can be found in OH with a new "wife" (no marriage record found)
and with kids born from 1808 and on. So we are not looking at a nice neat
situation here where a divorce is granted and the parties then remarry. This
example has often made me wonder how many of our ancestors simply left a
first wife, heading far enough away to avoid being found, and living without
benefit of marriage with the "2nd wife." With divorce laws being that
restrictive, I'm sure that many found ways around it and makes one wonder if
our early "pioneers" were really as interested in finding new frontiers as
they were in getting away from a spouse. That's just a bit of tongue in
cheek :-)

Cheers,
Nel Hatcher
-----------------------

The North Carolina Genealogical Society Journal
Volume XXII, No. 3, August 1996

     Committee of Divorce & Alimony to whom following petitions were
referred... Margaret Hatcher of Buncombe County... report that the petitions
are respectively entitled to relief and recommend a bill accompanying this
Report be passed into Law.  In Senate (13 December) and House of Commons (17
December), read and concurred with.
     Bill to secure to persons therein mentioned such property as they may
hereafter acquire.... In House of Commons (19 December), read second time
and passed.  In Senate (20 December), read third time and passed. (General
Assembly Session Reports Nov.-Dec. 1811, Box 1, folder: "Senate Bill 13
Dec.".)

     Laws of North Carolina, November-December 1811 Session.  The persons on
each line below, except those preceded by the letter "D", were entitled to
hold, possess and enjoy, in their sole right, all such estate, either real
or personal, as they may hereafter acquire by industry, purchase, gift or
otherwise, in as full and ample manner as if they had never been married.
The persons whose names are preceded by a "D" were granted full divorces
from each other.

     HATCHER, Margaret of Buncombe County; husband unnamed, page 38
[Note: Margaret was not granted a full divorce, but only a separation]