VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2005

From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 2005 07:43:43 -0800
Dennis,

I did come across a petition online in archives at  LVA that's signed by members of the troop that went with Thomas Rowland on  the N.C. Expedition.

http://www.lva.lib.va.us/siteindex/index.htm

Scroll down to Governor's Letters Received, July 1776 - November 1784

Enter "Thomas Rowland"

Click on 1   (Davies, William War Office to Governor 1781)

When you view the pages with signatures, be sure to use the scroll on bottom.  I missed half of them the first time I copied the pages.

Unfortunately, only a few of the signatures (which start on pg.5, I think) can be read easily.  Maybe you can mess around with it on a photo program and get results.  Sometimes changing photo of document  to negative helps clarify.  I did transcribe the affidavit by Thomas Rowland (see below) but haven't gotten to the petition or signatures yet.

Joanne

1781 affidavit to war office

      Summary    Re ordering a court martial to sit in Botetourt County to
      determine amount of credit for Botetourt Militia
      June 26, 1781- Petition, Inhabitants of Botetourt, 49 signatures, setting
      forth reasons for their returning home early from Greene’s forces in hope
      governor will allow them a tour of duty
       July 8, 1781-  Affidavit, Thomas Rowland, re early return of militia from
      N.C.and results of subsequent court martial.
      Aug. 8, 1781-  Cover  letter, William Davies, War Office, [to] governor, in  he suggests

      Maj.  Rowland and petitioners may be correct.
             ____1781-  Undated approval of Nelson

                Botetourt County    ?
      I certify that a number of officers and solders
      Returned from an Expedition to Northcarolina
      under the Command of Major General Green a
      few Days before theyer (tour?duty?) to me was Expired
      --and sometime after their return there was a
      Marshall Cort held and I myself informed the
      Cort upon their offenses for returning without
      orders in which the Cort  aquitted them-- and
      the Cort Refused the solders a trial in which
      it appear to Me that the Solders Now pitishining
      Did Dutey Equal to the Millitia of Mungomery
      or Rockbridge Countys on Sd  Expeditions which
      is Sd they (were) each allowed tours for Sd Dutey.
      Given under My hand this 8th Day July 1781
                                               Thos Rowland, Maj.

   Spelling and grammer as close to original as possible.

Dennis Glazener <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Joanne,

Below is your post on VA-ROOTS sent to me by a friend that knows that I am researching an incident that happened at the battle of Clapp's Mill. The two men involved are both ancestors of mine and were members of the Botetourt County militia. I have good second hand information that one of them was killed there  but the other man is not mentioned in the information that I have been able to find. I believe Major Rowland was in command of this group.

I thought you might be able to steer me in the right direction to find any information that still exists on this group.

I joined this group this morning and am looking forward to exchanging information with anyone that is interested.

Kind regards,
Dennis Glazener
Midlothian, Va 23113