VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2007

From:
Richard Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:42:15 -0400
I am looking for information regarding the SCOTT family, that lived near Brownsburg, in Rockbridge County, VA. In 1875, my Great Grandfather Andrew Wilson Scott was born there. His parents were: Mary Susan Frances [Moyers] Scott, and George Washington Scott. I estimate that G.W. Scott was born around 1860, but I have no dates of birth or death for either parent.
As for ethnicity, it is my understanding that Mary was of Cherokee and Monacan Indian descent, with her father being born somewhere in Britain. (Her mother was the Cherokee and Monacan side within her blood line.) This would make my Great Grandfather of Cherokee/Monacan and British descent.
My Great Grandfather (Andrew Wilson Scott) later married Alice Lea-Poteat in about 1912, in or near Yanceyville, Caswell County, NC.
Any assistance with possible links to VA SCOTT's would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Richard