VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2006

From:
Donald Locke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:04:31 +0000
Hi Elaine!
My Lock family came from Calvert County Maryland late 1600's early 1700's to
Frederick County Virginia and Berkeley County Va.
They later ended up in Barren County Kentucky by 1800.
My Lock's have a very close kinship to the Chapman's of Barren County Kentucky. Have you or anyone else traced the Virginia Chapman's to Barren County Ky?

I just looked in my family tree file, and I have 5 Lock(e) / Chapman marriages.
My direct Lock ancestor married a Chapman of Barren County Ky.
Knowing how the Calvert County MD families seemed to have all followed each other to Frederick County and Berkeley County Va. It makes me wonder if the Chapman's also came from MD to Va and on to Ky?
George Francis Lock b. 1812 married June 27, 1837 in Barren County Ky to
Sarah Ann Chapman , daughter of William and Mary Chapman.

I am also looking for anyone who has any type of record which names a Lock(e) from Frederick County Va, Berkeley County Va, even if that Lock(e) was only listed as a witness, or mentioned as living next door or what ever.
If it pertains to Lock(e) I am most interested ! :)

And regarding all the DNA talk. DNA testing works wonderfully!
Many of us Lock(e) family researchers have tried in vain to find the paper trail to link John Lock of Frederick County Va to Richard Lock of same county.
No record has ever been found to directly link the 2 men. But, secondary records clearly show they had to have been related, just to many things in common to have not to have been directly related.
DNA testing has proven John Lock and Richard Lock shared a common male ancestor! So even though we don't know the exact kinship between the 2 men, we now at least know we are one and the same family line!

Donald Locke
To E or not to E, that is the question! DGLjr
Lock and Locke are correct spellings.
http://home.comcast.net/~lockeroots/home.html