VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2009

From:
Mickey Fournier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mickey Fournier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2009 12:54:28 -0500
You reminded me of a funny story.  My ancestor, Richard Carter, was on the
early tax lists of Halifax County as Richard Carter, Gunsmith.  In later
years that was shortened to G.S. sometimes.  Somebody published a book of
tax lists, last name first in lieu of an index.  On Ancestry recently, I had
to do a double take.  Somebody shows him as Richard George Simeon Carter.

But in a signature, I doubt it would have had another meaning.  Sometimes
people who were commonly called by their middle names turned them around.
Richard Daniel to Daniel Richard.  Are you sure he wasn't using a funny
looking R?