VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

From:
J Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 15:30:16 EDT

This perfectly illustrates why we need to pass along the importance  of
taking the trouble to look at as original a document as possible. In Eric's  case,
anyone who sees the original document with the correct spelling will
immediately be able to source that death certificate as part of the official  state
records.  It makes no difference who sees it first, posts it on the  internet or
copies it into a book.

There will always be a group of people who are perfectly content to  download
their family tree in one glop, and it really shouldn't bother the other  kind
of researcher who wants to be sure that everything's as correct as they can
ascertain.  You will not be taking their information as absolute, and most
likely neither will anyone you are familiar with.

The sad part is that unless the 'fast download' researcher starts to  dig
into their genealogy more deeply he/she will never know the thrill of  finding
"my son Edward" written on a deed after months or years of  looking.

I admit that I have plenty of stuff on my database that I didn't find all  by
myself.  I also don't pass it along to others and change it whenever I  find
data that proves something else.  But that "Aha!" moment is what I  remember.

Janice

[log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])  wrote:

...  Sure, someone else retrieved the information for me but it was  my
digging
that located him so how do you source that?...

... eventually came across him.  His first name was  misspelled on the death
certificate index
transcriptions but not on the  certificate.  Once I found it I immediately
posted
my finds (and others  I ran across that day) in the area that I thought
researchers would pick it  up.  I wasn't looking for fame and fortune and
only
hoped people who  took the info would do the right thing and cite the source
but if not, at  least I can hope that this one find would lead to another as
people add to  it.

Eric....