VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

From:
Steve Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2008 07:51:02 -0500
I don't think I qualify as an expert, but I have owned 3-4.  Long battery
life is a good thing, also the ability to upload your own maps or pictures
of an area.  Most all of the "must have" features are now included in the
basic of units (WAAS, 12 channel, etc.) It really comes down to what you can
afford and what you can afford to live with out.  Most all will tell you how
sensitive the receiver is.  When walking through thick woods, this is very
important.  Some you can buy with a radio so you can transmit your position
to a friend.  Not very important unless you are doing some serious hiking or
cross country skiing.

I'm not sure what you intend to plot, but most GPS are accurate to +/- 30
feet so figure no more than that and allow plots or "Tracks"..  Garmin makes
a very nice unit, but so does Magellan.

Here are a few links that should keep you busy for awhile:

http://gpsinformation.net
http://www.edu-observatory.org/gps/gps.html
http://www.lostoutdoors.com

I will be glad to answer any questions.

My units:

Garmin StreetPilot6510 in car navigation system
DeLorme Earthmate USB GPS which connects to my laptop computer
Garmin eTrex
Eagle Explorer

These units are 3-7 years old so they are not the "latest and greatest", but
work well and together for what I want to do.  I can also put you on to some
great free software that is really nice also.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Steve Stevens