VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2008

From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2008 11:51:58 -0500
Tobacco was shipped in what was called a Hogshead, which was a very
large barrel, 4' high and 30" wide at the top, and a full hogshead
weighed about 1,000 pounds. The value changed at different times but
it was reckoned as a hogshead, half a hogshead, etc. It may seem like
a lot of tobacco to us today, but it wasn't really, if you had
tobacco farm, you grew a large amount of tobacco. In early days
things were paid for-- fines, debts, buying land, etc.-- almost
always in tobacco rather than English units of money.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone