VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:10:36 -0500
As I surely thought I stated, adoptions have gone on since before Roman times, but not in the legal sense as we now know that term.

Even Johnson (1755) quoting Dryden defines adoption as "to make him a son who was not so by birth", however those references were all to the private arrangements and even bargains, sometimes noted by courts and more often not so, by which one family assumed the care of the child of another.

As the Supreme Court has said "adoption was unknown to the Common Law" and "is a creature of statute".

Again, if there is a court order that grants a divorce as we know it, I surely will confess to having erred and will so amend my book, "Missing Pieces".

Paul