VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2012

Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:45:29 -0500
Many of the speech patterns are of Scots-Irish origin. They were a
predominate force in the settlement of  the mountain areas of Virginia  (West
Virginia), North Carolina and then on into Kentucky and Tennessee. For  example,
many people of these areas add an "R" to various words, like  " warsh"
instead of wash. Adding the "er" to the end of words is part of  this pattern,
too. Here are some links to more information.

_http://artsandsciences.sc.edu/engl/dictionary/articles.html_
(http://artsandsciences.sc.edu/engl/dictionary/articles.html)
 _http://www.wvculture.org/history/journal_wvh/wvh30-2.html_
(http://www.wvculture.org/history/journal_wvh/wvh30-2.html)

Judi

"Puzzles of the Past"
_http://puzzlesofthepast.blogspot.com/_
(http://puzzlesofthepast.blogspot.com/)

What  do you hold so close to your own circle of life that you would not
put a price  on it? What would it be for you? For me, it is the mountains and
the people of  Appalachia.”

Larry Gibson, Keeper of the Mountains

In a message dated 11/20/2012 5:54:27 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,