VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

From:
J Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:32:15 EST

What a wonderful reply!

And wouldn't I love to do exactly as you suggest.  If it were my  opportunity
I would catalog, put into order and digitally photograph  everything.

Realistically, I don't have the budget for gasoline that would allow me to
complete an assignment of that scope.  What I have is a camera and a love  of
old documents.  And a willingness to donate time to the county in return  for
the opportunity to examine the records.

My question had been based partially on a statement by an earlier person  who
was unable to locate any information, possibly because it was back in the
1830's...  Thank you for giving me hope!  (Even if I didn't find what  I was
looking for, it would be a whole lot of fun.)

Janice

[log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])  writes:

Is there a specific reason why you are only interested in the  marriages of
1781?

At last visit to Albemarle County Clerk's Office, the  extant original
marriage bonds, consents, minister's returns were still on boxes  on top of the of
the row at the far back wall in the "vault room."  These  are/were in pretty
bad shape, having been folding into thirds and placed in  these boxes one on top
of the other.  When opening them, the folds often  are so fragile, the paper
then become three individual parts.
The boxes  are/were labeled with date ranges, but I believe 1781 was included.

If  one were to review these, perhaps they could make a list of those Rev.
Maury  reported.  This could then be compared with Vogt & Kethley compiled
Albemarle marriages,1780 - 1853.    I believe this work was done using  microfilm,
rather than the originals in the county.  Their compilation  gives 1782 -
1797 a total of 87 marriages recorded/performed by Rev. Matthew  Maury in
Albemarle Co., VA

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)